On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 10:00:35PM -0400, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> * David McMillan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [05-30-07 21:36]:
> > Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> > >* David McMillan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [05-30-07 20:56]:
> > >
> > >You *are* using vnc, http://host:5801 is a vnc connection.
> >
> >     Yes, I know -- what I meant was, *at the time of the incidents,* I
> > hadn't made any VNC connection attempts, via HTTP or otherwise, in
> > *days,* if not weeks.  There were definitely no VNC connections being
> > made from any of *my* machines on my LAN.  That's what's puzzling (and
> > worrying me) about seeing XVNC active, and eating up so much CPU.

My guess...

Xvnc is the VNC server process.  It has to be running for you to be able to
connect on http://host:5801 (unless you use some inetd magic to get it to
auto-start).  Basically, you have Xvnc running ready to accept connections
on http://host:5801.

Why is it using so much CPU?  I'd guess that you've got a screensaver
configured.  The screensaver program isn't intelligent enough to realise
that it's a VNC session and therefore doesn't need a screensaver, so it
detects that there has been no keyboard or mouse activity for a while
(unsurprising, since there are no connected clients), and starts running
the screensaver.  The Xvnc process has to respond to the screensaver
program's commands to draw things on its X desktop, and this is what is
taking all the CPU.

It could be other things, but this is my best guess.

--
David Smith            Work Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
STMicroelectronics     Home Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]