On 2007-05-31 02:15, Jos van Kan wrote:
> Darryl Gregorash wrote:
>
>> On 2007-05-29 19:29, John Andersen wrote:
>>
>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> I don't think 9.3 uses syslog-ng just the old syslog.
>>>

>> I can't recall which is the default, but syslog-ng is included -- it's been
>> running here since installation, because I never could figure out how to
>> configure syslogd.
>>

> The old syslog is still the default for reasons that escape me.
Do you mean even in 10.2?? We need to find the maintainer for that and
slap him on the head :-)

The only problem I ever had with syslog-ng's default setup went away
because I discovered a cron feature I thought was not available to an
ordinary user. However, without that feature, it still would have been
very easy to resolve the problem within syslog-ng, just by creating a
new filter and excluding my filter from another filter. With syslogd, I
think getting rid of all those log entries might well be next to impossible.

I do not even understand why syslogd is even still included in the
distribution, unless it is for die-hard admins who think anything that
can be understood by ordinary folk is evil :-)

--
Hypocrisy is the homage vice pays to virtue. -- François de La Rochefoucauld