Carlos E. R. wrote:

> The Saturday 2007-06-02 at 12:04 +0200, Eberhard Roloff wrote:
>
>> However, for purposes of simplicity, lets assume that your son has data
>> with a volume of 200GB (or less), that needs to be backed up regularly.
>
>>> If I had to backup all and every file on his computer, I should have 100
>>> Tb of usb drives...
>> You might have ignored the essence of rsnapshot and similar solutions.
>> The beauty of these solutions is that backups are done by using symlinks.
>
>> Lets see how this basically works and what you get as a  result:
>
>> ===This is how it works:=====
>> (assuming that you are doing a simple daily backup. In reality, you most
>> probably will want to do weekly and monthly backups, as well) :
>
>> day1: 200GB are backed up to the usb drive
>

> External usb hard drives are very convenient, but they are not reliable,
> unfortunately. They are exposed to handling, for instance, and a HD should
> not be even moved while spinning.
>
> Then, the chipsets used by those boxes are cheap and incomplete, they
> don't have the necessary functions to use SMART and thus asses the drive
> health.
>
> It is a very convenient way of adding large storage capacity which you can
> then move out to a cupboard or safe, but in fact they can and do die on
> you at the most unexpected moment.

I understand Google did a paper on disk drives. They found that SMART was not a
very good predictor in determining drive health. I think it was a three year
study on their drive failures at Google.

It was mentioned on a podcast "Security Now" http://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm
episode #81
--
Joseph Loo