On Saturday 02 June 2007 07:55:01 pm joe wrote:
> I recently bought a logitech quickcam on sale, to plug it into my suse 10.2
> workstation and try to get it going. When I plug the camera in, it seems to
> be recognized by the kernel, as seen in the log messages below.
>

> usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
> usb 2-2: new device found, idVendor=046d, idProduct=092e
> usb 2-2: new device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
> usb 2-2: Product: Camera
> usb 2-2: Manufacturer:
> usb 2-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
> Linux video capture interface: v2.00
> drivers/media/video/usbvideo/quickcam_messenger.c: Logitech Quickcam
> Messenger USB v0.01
> usbcore: registered new driver QCM
>

> Looks good, right? Well, the problem is that there is no /dev/video*, so
> there is no way to access the camera. How do we fix this egregious
> situation? In the old days, we'd simply issue a makedev command and be good
> to go.
>
> So, how to coax udev into creating the needed device?
>
> Joe

Well, your camera appears to be supported:

<http://mxhaard.free.fr/spca5xx.html>

This link may get you started:

<http://en.opensuse.org/HCL/Web_Cameras>

I do not have that driver installed here, but if you follow those directions
and can use the camera via kopete, you should be well on your way.

- James W