I have a treo 700p that I sync with PalmPilot tool.  It works very well.
There are few applications for some specialized areas that may not
upgrade or sync correct but often there are way around. In my use
ePocrates Pro can not install but if you install it under windows (I
installed using VM in SuSE 10.2) then you do not need it any more
because it upgrades automatically from the phone. So I sync once a day.
I also use the treo 700p to connect my ThinkPad to the net when I am on
the Road. I have been using Linux to syn the palms since 9.3 I believe.
Of course you can run the palm desktop from a virtual machine like VM or
qemu but as I said except for very few applications you can do all under
linux.

-=terry(Denver)=-