Dave Howorth wrote:
G T Smith wrote:
VMS if I remember correctly defaulted to 3 being available but the
version numbers incremented (on the setup I was working one could flag
files to be archived overnight and ask for them back later). Most
editing applications I have dealt with create a backup copy by default
so three versions is only a minor improvement.

ICL's George 3 had this some 5-10 years before VMS (late 60s perhaps,
definitely by early 70s). Files were version-numbered and George
automatically saved them to tape and retrieved them as necessary,
depending on disk availability (I remember using 8 MB disks the size of
washing machines). It managed all the tape volumes, knowing just where
every version of every file was.

The filesystem also had user and group access control bits :)

<http://www.icl1900.co.uk/g3/filestor.html>

It's interesting watching people reinvent wheels over and over again.
Or make stone wheels, then have to spend years chipping away at them to replace the parts with wood. Then do the same again to replace parts with steel (while some of the original stone is retained for backward compatibility).