James Knott wrote:
> G T Smith wrote:
>> John E. Perry wrote:
>>>>
>>> Same here.  I have my home network connected with cat-5E (only a little
>>> more costly than cat-5 when I bought it, and it runs 100Mbps just fine
>>> -- even over the 40 ft to my son's room.
>>> John Perry
>> If I remember correctly shielding is a two way thing, basically you are
>> running a potential 40ft radio aerial in the latter case. If you have a
>> lot of cables or have anything which is sensitive to radio emissions
>> close by, Cat 6 starts making sense.
> ????
>
> There are two ways to reduce interference to & from a cable.  Those are
> shielding and twisted pairs.  UTP cable, including CAT 6 relies on
> twisted pairs to reduce interference.  Unless the twist rate for CAT 6
> is significantly more than CAT 5, there will be little difference
> between the two for interference purposes.

In fact, twisting is superior to shielding in practical installations,
unless there's a great deal of near-field interference, when shielding
can be really effective.  But the purpose of the high-quality cables is
to preserve waveform fidelity, which is why the more carefully made
cables give better bandwidth.

I didn't know cat-6 cables were available yet.  I'll have to give it a look.

John Perry