On Friday 08 June 2007 11:43, Frank Fiene wrote:
> On Freitag, 8. Juni 2007, Philipp Thomas wrote:
> > * Frank Fiene ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) [20070604 11:30]:
> > > Also 32bit Linux kernel should be fine with PAE, not?
> >
> > Yes, it is. But in order to get a 32bit kernel that supports PAE,
> > you need to replace the installed kernel-default package by the
> > kernel-bigsmp one. And even then you might not see the whole 4 GiB,
> > because the BIOS reserves some address space for PCI devices.
>
> OK, i see.
>
> But OP was about 64bit kernel. So why does my openSUSE-10.2-64bit
> behave like this? I am wondering that i am the only one with a
> 4GB-Thinkpad(-Z-Series)!

Some (many) 64-bit processors have 32-bit compatibility modes. And most
mainboards support multiple processors. Mainboard BIOSes for boards
that support such processors have to be able to be configured for all
the processors they support. Since there's no one-size-fits-all
approach to this issue if both 64 and non-PAE 32-bit chips or operating
system can be used, they make it a BIOS configuration option.

So you, as the person who knows what processor, how much RAM and what OS
are being used, must take this information and choose a suitable
setting for those BIOS options.

> Regards
> Frank

Randall Schulz