On Friday 08 June 2007 08:51, Ladislav Slezak wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Jerry Houston wrote:
> > Ladislav Slezak wrote:
> >> OK, the card is recognized by the system and the problem seems to be
> >> driver related...
> >>
> >> Is there something interesting in /var/log/messages or in 'dmesg'
> >> output? Does 'modprobe snd-hda-intel' help?
> >
> > Answering from work, so I can't check on messages right now.  I did try
> > modprobe, and there was no output of any kind.  No information, no error
> > messages, just a fresh command-line prompt.  I assume I didn't need to
> > run that from any particular directory, do I?  I did run it from an
> > admin console.
>
> Yes, you don't need to run the command in any special directory.
>
> > That's the impression I got from alsaconf.  Its first message was that
> > it couldn't find a PCI card.  Is there another place where I should be
> > looking for an updated version of ALSA, or would that come along in the
> > normal course of applying available updates?  I've been doing that.
>
> ALSA drivers are part of the Linux kernel, so if there is a kernel patch
> available you should apply it. Or you can install the latest kernel in
> parallel to the current one.
>
> > As far as I know, this motherboard is reasonably competent, but it's not
> > exactly bleeding-edge.  It surprises me that its sound card is so
> > difficult to support.
>
> Well, there might be a slight difference in design but if nobody knows it
> it's hard to fix it...

Hi all,

if
  modprobe snd-hda-intel
doesn't return anything that it means module is loaded.
  lsmod | grep snd
should give list of all modules that contain string "snd" and snd-hda-intel is
probably in the list.

The lspci entry tells that your card is different:
00:05.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP61 High Definition Audio
(rev a2)
Mine is MCP51.

I just found something that might be helpful:
 http://www.suseforums.net/index.php?showtopic=30235

One idea would be to try 10.3 alpha 4. It has new kernel.

--
Regards,
Rajko.