On Sun, 2007-06-10 at 06:39 -0700, Kai Ponte wrote:
> On Fri, June 8, 2007 1:29 pm, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> >

> > The Friday 2007-06-08 at 13:06 -0400, George Stoianov wrote:
> >
> >> Guys lets not forget that encrypting a partition is only protecting
> >> data when the computer is turned off i.e. none can just start it and
> >
> > Obviously. I haven't forgotten that. But referent to the OP mail, it
> > is
> > theft of the portable computer what the company is worried about; and
> > the
> > highest risk of theft is when on the move, with the portable off and
> > inside its bag.
>
> Yes, that *is* my concern.

If the content of /home, or /home/johndoe is to be protected at all
cost, one might think about using tokens...

Eventough PIN/PUK are virtually impossible to break, the token should
never be kept  with the notebook (with a post-it memo with the
pin&puk-code ;), but in your wallet or key-chain.

If the notebook got nicked, the thief only sees a free-and-open O.S.
And even *if* he can log in, as root, he can not decipher anything
without the token and the knowledge of it's pin-code.

Having said this, do you access you data from linux/bsd-only machines?
If so, (and the sensitive data is not to much..) why not put that part
of your data on an encrypted usb-stick?

HW
--
pgp-id: 926EBB12
pgp-fingerprint: BE97 1CBF FAC4 236C 4A73  F76E EDFC D032 926E BB12