On Fri, Jun 15, Michael Fischer wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 15, Sloan wrote:
>
> > Why not just rsync all the files of interest over to the new box? The
> > integrity of the filesystem is really not connected to the display issues...
>
> Well, in the ongoing saga.....
>
> The new machine is a spanking HP pavilion, dual core athlon 64.
>
> And 10.1 doesn't recognize the DVD/CD rom...
>
> Install no go.
>
> Install ACPI=off at least gets me som old fashioned curses-style
> dialog boxes, but which invariably tell me it can't find/mount
> the cd rom device. going into the System Information dialog
> to Hard Disks or CD-ROMs tells me it finds the SATA HD, and
> even all the cute flash-rom thingies. But not the DVD/CD.

FWIW, the only branding I can see on the DVD/CD drive is "lightscribe".

Any wisdom on that?

I'd google, but this machine from which I am typing doesn't know
it has a mouse, and that's just murder to tab through vendor sites
to learn more ... (me hates the thought of being mouse-dependent
to be reasonably productive online...)

TIA

Michael
--
Michael Fischer                         Happiness is a config option.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                        Recompile and be happy.