On Sat June 16 2007 6:23 pm, Alexey Eremenko scratched these words onto
a coconut shell, hoping for an answer:
> Hi Randall Schulz !
>
> Randall wrote:
> > The partition structure is independent of the type of file system
> > created on those partitions. I.e., it is not necessary to
> > repartition a drive (that's already partitioned) in order to
> > install Linux.
>
> It may be unnecessary to repartition on Linux-ready system, than
> already has ext partitions.
>
> On typical Home Windows systems, when there is one single big 200 GB
> hard drive and 200 GB NTFS partition on it, like 99% of all world's
> Home PCs those days shipped, you _can not_ install a Linux on such a
> typical system without repartitioning it first.
>
> Have you worked with _typical_ Windows systems ever ?

Unless something has radically changed, Suse will "shrink" the windows
partition for you, and install itself and the grub bootloader  in the
recaptured space. Unless the person has filled up the disc.. then you
have other situation.

If you can find a windows box to try it on, put the install media into
the drive, and reboot, see if it doesn't ask you if you would like to
reclaim space from the windows partition...  remember nothing happens
in the install until you give it the final ok... so you can safely look
at how things will happen, and you only have to realize the dire
warnings you get when you abort don't mean your windows box will no
longer boot.. those warnings are for a bare drive where linux would be
your only Os . In that event those warnings are quite correct, if you
do not do the install, you won't be able to do anything w/ your
computer..

hth

I've lived in the real world enough, we're all here because we ain't all
there.