On Saturday 16 June 2007 21:42, Kai Ponte wrote:
> On Sat, June 16, 2007 12:29 pm, James Knott wrote:
> >
> > No, TCP/IP doesn't run on OSI, but the OSI model is often used to
> > help understand other stacks.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong - and I know this is going way OT - but ALL
> transport protocols run in the OSI. AFAIK, layers 3 and 4 define the
> protocols being used.

OSI refers to both a reference model and an actual protocol
specification. The reference model does not define actual protocols,
just an abstract way of organizing them. The rapid rise of the IP-based
protocols displaced any widespread implementation or deployment of the
OSI protocol suite as well as other such as the Xerox's XNS family.
Other protocol families did gain widespread use but are nonetheless now
waning. The latter includes those used by NetWare.

> You're gonna make me break out my books, aren't you??

Only if you're going to share photos of the steam coming out of your
ears...

RRS