On Thursday 2007-05-24 11:35, Rainer Klier wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 23.05.2007, 21:06 -0400 schrieb Ken Jennings:
> > Windows on my wife's Dell 4700C finally imploded.  Since the opportunity
> > to "fix" it was presented, I added dual-booting Suse 10.2 after
> > reinstalling XP.  It occurs to me now with a complete XP install on its
> > own partition separate from linux, shouldn't it somehow be possible to
> > run both at the same time?
> >
> > So, is there a way to run Windows XP already installed on its own
> > partition
>
> it is possible with vmware.
> at least with vmware workstation.
> i do it this way since 2001.

As it's Father's Day I (mostly) get to do what I want, so one of today's items
was to catch up on my reading.  As luck would have it the July 2007 SYSADMIN
Magazine has a special insert on Virtualization and July 2007 Linux Magazine
has an article on VMware that are exactly what I was looking for. Wouldn't
have otherwise found these until August or perhaps October.  It should work
exactly as I described previously and I won't need to reinstall WIndows.

I have VMware Server installed per the article and a key registered, and then
(re)discovered I did not originally finish installing everything for suse
10.2, so there are missing dependencies. That figures, since I lent all of
the 10.2 discs to a friend, so it could be next Father's Day when I get the
time to finish it.