On Mon, 2007-06-18 at 11:00 +0100, Robert Best wrote:

> > > It is a Speedtouch ADSL modem. Don't know about firewall
> > > capabilities.

The "firewall capabilities" used by most of these modems is called NAT
which stands for Network Address Translation ( there are other features
available ). What this basically does is prevent an outside connection
to an inside PC because there is no direct access via an outside IP
address to an internal IP address. When you request an outside
connection, lets say a connection to a web site, the modem automagically
provides a temporary connection for you and drops it when the request
has ended ( the web page has been loaded ).

<snip>
> Don't understand. I use fish (or sftp, not ssh) to transport files in
> the LAN which I suppose is in Internal, not External Zone. Port 22 is
> never mentioned in these zones.
> I'd like to put the firewall between the LAN and the Internet.
> Currently I pull out the phone line from the router when I disable a
> Firewall.

No need as the modem _is_ the firewall.

> > In case that there are more problems that you encounter or you have
> > more questions, just do not hesitate to ask.
> >
> > This list has only one sole reason for existence: It is here to help
> > people achieve what they are heading for!!!
>
> I was amazed that so many people responded to my question. Thanks to
> all!

That's why we volunteer to be here.

> > And Linux may not be easy, especially when you are beginning to
> > explore it, but chances are, you will never ever regret it.

As I said in an earlier email it's easy once you know how.

--
Ken Schneider
UNIX  since 1989, linux since 1994, SuSE  since 1998