John Ross wrote with an electric tatoo needlee on a toasted coconut shell: :-)

Charles Obler wrote:

I've just installed 10.2.  I experienced erratic
(wild,
unstable) scrolling during and after installation.  As
soon as the mouse pointer enters a text or panel area,
the area starts to scroll erratically.  Scroll
overload apparently crashed KDE -- lost keyboard
access, and ability to logoff.  Problem does not exist
on my 9.0 SuSE system.

I'm using a Logitech wheel mouse.  9.0 lists it as an
"Intelli/wheel mouse (aux)".  10.2 recognizes it as
Logitech.  My graphics card is an
"NVidia GeForce 4 MX440SE".  My monitor is an "AOC
Spectrum 7KLR".  In 9.0, I run at 800x600 with refresh
128hz.

I managed to get YAST/sax2 to disable the mouse wheel.
That worked for a while, but today, after starting
Firefox, the problem returned, afflicting ALL
applications (not just Firefox). According to sax2, the wheel remained disabled. However, after starting Firefox, the wheel became
operative and, throughout KDE, scrolling became
unstable.  Is it possible that Firefox (or something
else) caused the system to disregard the sax2 setting?

There are several problems here:
* sax2 mouse setting is ignored by applications
* erratic scrolling crashed KDE, locked out keyboard
* mouse may be defective

It's the first two problems that deserve wider
attention.

The last problem, I can fix myself.  Disconnecting the
mouse eliminated the wild oscillations.  I will try
replacing the mouse.

I tried reducing screen resolution to 800x600.  That
had no effect.

____________________________________________________________________________________ Yahoo! oneSearch: Finally, mobile search that gives answers, not web links. http://mobile.yahoo.com/mobileweb/onesearch?refer=1ONXIC
Is this a  PS/2 or USB Mouse?
Is the USB Port a 1.1 or 2.0 USB port?