>  BTW what kind (make/model) of case is the drive mounted in?

Ahem, I bought off ebay - it seems to be made in China. Search "*NEW*
120 GB 2.5" External HDD Hard Disk Drive USB 2.0" I didn't honestly know
it before now, but the housing seems to be rip-off of a SONY label.

Investigating as far I can, the problem is not with the kernel, but it
_is_ a hardware (or firmware) issue.  The device reports incorrect
residue values (?).  This means that it violates the USB Mass Storage
protocol specification (funny, it claims to be USB2.0 certified).  Mac
OS X and Windows ignore the bogus residue values but Linux doesn't.

Patch submitted
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/gregkh/usb/2.6/2.6.20-rc3/usb-storage-unusual_devs-add-supertop-drives.patch

I should not expect that the device won't work with any earlier kernel. I guess
I don't want to mess
with a kernel upgrade until I do a full backup, so I'm looking for a new
storgae device.

And the moral of this story?

Phil