On Wed 20 June 2007 00:56, Darryl Gregorash wrote:
> On 06/19/2007 03:11 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I must be quick, before the system locks down again.
>
> I recalled this problem was reported last month -- thread "File system
> becomes read-only", to which you contributed. No solution was posted to
> the list, no one mentioned anything about a bug report, and I cannot
> find any bug report summaries that look even remotely close to the problem.

Yes, you're right. I have no solution yet, and the problem occurs on three
very different systems. I mentioned them in that theread as well. It is
becoming alarming now.

> > It seems that since I installed OpenSUSE 10.2 and used ext3 FS, I get
> > system Lockdowns with the File System going Read Only suddenly. At bootup
> > the ext3 rollback of journals seem to be doing something, even if the
> > shut down was done normally.
> >
> > There seems to be a correlation to high disk access, which occurs when
> > either Evolution, KMail (Kontact) or Gimp loads and saves files on a
> > default ext3 OpenSUES 10.2 root system, with a reiserfs partition mounted
> > on /home/<user>/Data/Data1 and/or a xfs on /home/<user>/Data/Data2, where
> > the data is. Can using different FS's in one system cause such problems?
> >
> > How can I find out what causes it?
>
> I tend to doubt that the specific filesystem(s) in use have anything at
> all to do with this, but the high disk access probably does. There is a
> thread on Dell about problems with the MegaRAID sas driver (module name
> megasas) --
> http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2007-March/029974.html
> -- but you have not given enough information for anyone to know if this
> is relevant to your problem. Grep /var/log/messages for "megasas".

As mentioned in that thread also, I have no megasys. I use two IDE based
systems and one x86_64 SATA system.

> One writer in that thread (on Dell) writes "the problem is that the
> Linux kernel's SCSI layer insists on a single timeout for all SCSI
> requests, and doesn't tolerate high variances in command completion
> times. If any single command times out, it resets the whole bus, even if
> there is still significant activity." This suggests that the problem is
> more widespread than just a RAID issue. This is that writer's message --
> http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2007-March/029982.html
> -- and it contains a suggestion that may be of use to you.

that is why I think Carl previously has something about mixing FS partitions
on a single drive. I have, however, noticed the problem even on completely
separate drives (completely partitioned with only one FS type like reiserfs
V3), but with different FS's mounted under a newly installed default OpenSUSE
10.2 ext3 System. This system only had one IDE channel (7-8 years old), with
the default (all packages installed except Laptop apps) OpenSUSE 10.2 with
ext3. I then mounted only the old reiserfs v3 drive
as /home/<user>/Data/Data1. This system did not even want to mount the drive
at bootup. I then repartitioned and formated it as ext3 and it worked again,
so no HW problems. The curious thing is that I have been doing this mixing of
FS's a while with OpenSUSE 10.1 and Novell's purchased boxed SUSE 10,1
without these problems.

> You'll need to give us a lot more information about your system hardware
> (including the modules that are loaded for hard drive i/o),.

Here some HW details:
1. A 5 year old system that had win2K on it for 3 years and since then
SuSE 9.3 and all the following. Here the problem occur with OpenSUSE
10.2. It has an ASUS mobo with ATI Radion graphic card.
2. A  2 year old system only had SuSE 10.0 that had the problem and now
has WinXP without any problems. It's a Gigabyte mobo with ATI Radion
graphic card. I noticed that intensive file access by Evolution caused a
systrem lockup many times.
3. The latest 1 year old system showed the problem mainly with SUSE 10.0
and now with OpenSUSE 10.2. An identical system has SuSE 10.1, where the
problem has till now not occured. It is a Gigabyte GA-K8N-SLi mobo with
nVidia GeForce 7600 GS.

The difference between the lockups of the SUSE 10.0 and OpenSUSE 10.2 is that
with 10.0 it did not allow any access to the system at all; a complete
lockdown - dead - only reset got it unlocked. The OpenSUSE 10.2 reports RO FS
problems by all applications. The system can be rebooted or shut down
normally.

 plus
> information from /var/log/messages about what is happening when the
> filesystem goes RO

I noticed on two different systems this sort of messages
in /var/logs/messages:

Jun  2 22:15:03 kakalapap kernel: hda: task_no_data_intr: status=0x51
{ DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Jun  2 22:15:03 kakalapap kernel: hda: task_no_data_intr: error=0x04
{ DriveStatusError }
Jun  2 22:15:03 kakalapap kernel: ide: failed opcode was: 0xef

For now, I need stability. I will follow Carl's suggestion and get all
partitions onto one FS type. I'm a little apprehensive to use ext3 or XFS.
Need I be? Patrick seems happy with ext3. Not sure what Carl uses.