My / partition has limited freespace, so I didn't want to add new or
unnecessary stuff. I depend on smbfs, so didn't want a new kernel to force me
to install sources, recompile, and run out of
freespace on /. So I:

1-opened YaST Control Center
2-clicked Software Management
3-selected package groups
4-clicked zzz All
5-scrolled down to kernel-default
6-right clicked
7-selected Protected
8-selected kerry
9-right clicked
10-selected all in this list
11-selected update if newer version available
12-clicked Accept

YaST then proceeded to update what needed updateing, and to delete 2.6.18.2-34
and install the latest kernel version. I am not happy about this. Did I get the
procedure wrong, or is protection from
kernel upgrade broken?

One of the nicest things about Mandriva is urpmi won't replace any kernel
automatically. Kernel upgrade there only happens by explicit request. I wish
SUSE/YaST was as intelligent. Then I could update
whenever updates were available instead of putting it off for months at a time.
--
"Respect everyone."     I Peter 2:17 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409