On 6/22/07, Rauch Christian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Carlos E. R. schrieb:

> The Friday 2007-06-22 at 16:07 +0200, Lorenzo Cerini wrote:
>
>> Trouble is those are SATA disks, not SCSi.
>> So have no smartctl ( or at least smartctl answer me this way)
>
> Doesn't "smartctl" work with SATA drives yet? I thought that had been
> solved.

It works here on 10.2, but the OP is using 10.0. It seems to that it was
not fixed there.

Regards,
Chris

It used to require a "-d ata" argument.  The OP should try that.

Also, SATA drives do not reallocate on read only on write.

Since the OP has the sector #, he should use dd to read in the sector
from the good drive to a temp file.  Then use dd to write it back out
to the failed drive.  In theory the bad drive will see that someone is
writing to a bad sector and re-map it to one of the spare sectors.

FYI: There was some discussion about mdraid doing this automatically
on a failed read, but I don't think it has been implemented yet.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group