I've just installed SUSE 10.2, using RAID 5, on an IBM Netfinity x232
server.  I created one small partition for /boot, a RAID array over 4
disks for / and a 2nd RAID for swap.  I assume I could replicate the
/boot partition across all 4 drives and add them to GRUB.  If I want
LVM, do I create a RAID array first?  Or can I create both RAID and LVM
in LVM?  Also, in the on line docs I found the following:

"Check the file /proc/mdstats to find out whether a RAID partition has
been destroyed. In the event of a system failure, shut down your Linux
system and replace the defective hard disk with a new one partitioned
the same way. Then restart your system and enter the command mdadm
/dev/mdX --add /dev/sdX. Replace 'X' with your particular device
identifiers. This integrates the hard disk automatically into the RAID
system and fully reconstructs it."

My system has hot swappable drives.  Does it still require a shut down
before replacing a drive?

tnx jk