On Saturday 23 June 2007, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> (I'm new to vmware)
>
> vmware server created two interfaces, vmnet1 and vmnet8 - the task of each
> one I have not clear -. The thing is, the hosted system (virtual machine)
> does have network access (I told it to use Nat), but I don't really know
> how, and whether it is protected by the firewall.
>
> Of course, if there is a nice, easy to read, howto, just tell me :-)

If you use nat it is protected by the firewall, protected in the sense
that unless you go in and specifically configure a routing, no inbound
connections will be forwarded to the virtual machine.

So its just like being behind a router.  You can establish outbound
connection in the virtual machine using just about any package
(web browser, telnet, ssh, email, etc).  Its just like having a machine
behind a little hardware router.  Until or unless you open any inbound
ports you are pretty well protected.

If you wanted to run a ssh SERVER in a virtual machine, using nat
you would have to go to /etc/vmware/vmnet8/nat and edit
nat.conf to include a line something like this:
  [incomingtcp]
  # SSH
  8889 = 192.168.90.128:22

This would accept inbound connections on port 8889 and
route them to the virtual machine on port 22.

You will then restart vmware, and as root in the host, you will see with
netstat -anp that vmmet-natd is listening on port 8889 for you.

If you do not need inbound connections, you don't have to do any of this.

Warning: Anytime you update vmware, it has a habit of stomping
all over your nat.conf  so MAKE A BACKUP copy.

--
John Andersen