On 6/24/07, Randall R Schulz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Perhaps it something about how you installed or configured VMware? I
know the configuration Perl script asks you a lot of questions. One of
them might bear on the availability of the shared folders function. If
you've been carrying forward your earlier configurations, it might be
something you did long ago.

well your comments caused me to pursue this again, after not having
looked into it for some time. I found a post on the vmware forum, that
suggested that you may need to remove and re-add the vmware tools
application on a guest running on an Ubuntu host.

So ... I did that, as it had been several versions of vmware
workstation since I first installed the tools in this guest.

Voila!

I guess I sometimes forget that "remove and re-install" is the
applications analogue of "reboot" in windows world.

Thnx for the kick in the butt that caused me to actually try again, Randall!