The Monday 2007-06-25 at 10:43 +0200, Eberhard Roloff wrote:

> Glad to hear that it's solved.
>
> Still this seems to be somewhat strange to me.
> For comparison, I try to reproduce your vmware thing:
> I am also using a TFT at 60HZ on Linux "natively".
>
> Now, when using vmware-server with Windows (XPpro), then switch to
> fullscreen windows and then back to Linux, actually nothing happens!
>
> Whatever I do and whatever Windows may think is has for a display, I am
> at 60Hz throughout.
>
> So maybe it is a problem with your graphics card and TFT combination.

It is related to the way I had configured the X system. In
/etc/X11/xorg.conf I had:

Section "Monitor"       # --- Monitor Proview (TFT) ---
        Identifier      "Monitor[tft]"  #"Proview"
        UseModes        "Modes[tft]"
        VendorName      "--> VESA"
        ModelName       "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
        HorizSync       31-60
        VertRefresh     50-75
#       VertRefresh     50-72   # doesn't work well :-?
#       VertRefresh     50-65   # doesn't work well :-?

This worked well with suse 10.1, but when I updated to 10.2 it didn't. I
did many tests, till I found a little gadget in gnome and kde that lets me
choose the frequency or resolution at a mouse click, and I selected 60 Hz
there. The X system would start in 70, and after log in to gnome it would
switch to 60 - te setting was remembered and selected automatically on
netxt login. I did try several combinations of VertRefresh to make this
work at the X server start instead, but I was not sucesfull - but
yesterday I was, the 50-65 range worked fine! I don't know why it didn't
work previously and now it does, but...

The thing is that vmware interferes somehow. Instead of reverting to the
previous video mode, it resets what was supposed to be the default mode in
the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file or roundabouts.

I have another problem with vmware: after starting it, the firewall
messages go to the active tty in text mode, instead of console 10. This
was reported as a bug previously in bugzilla, but I hadn't noticed it
started happening after a vmware session. I commented on this on another
thread, I just mention it here as another weirdness of vmware.

- --
Cheers,
       Carlos E. R.