Sandy Drobic wrote:
Joachim Schrod wrote:

Sandy,

On a mail relay gateway (our backup mail server) the valid users of the
relayed domains are not known. I.e., infrastructure and processes are
not (yet) in place to use relay_recipient_maps.

If the backend servers for these domains have a static ip address and are
able to reject mails during the smtp dialogue, you can use
reject_unverified_recipient.

Great! Thanks a lot for that pointer; that's a solution for my real problem, not fixing symptoms as I intended. I will try this out later today.

In a few weeks (or months ;-), we will move our backup mail server to a different hosted system anyhow; there we will be able to replicate our LDAP account database to and use that for recipient checks. I will also be able to set up better spam protection there. Both additions are not possible at the current backup mail server, it is not our own system.

I will also take your recommendations for the bounce delivery parameters to heart and will read the docs to get a good fit to our policy.

Thanks again, and have a nice day,

        Joachim