On Wed, 2007-07-04 at 09:37 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm openSUSE 10.2 and occasionally I'll see Xorg looping.  The entire
> screen appears to be hung, also does not respond to Ctrl-Alt-Backspace,
> nor to Ctrl-Alt-F1.
> When I log in from another system (ssh), Xorg is running at 100%, and
> the only way out is to kill it, and let it restart.  A couple of time
> this seems to have happened in connection with start openoffice.

Does killing openoffice and/or every other application that might be
talking to the x server free it up?

> This happens maybe once a week - the workstation is running 24h/day, and
> is otherwise hardly ever restarted.
> I'm not really very familiar with how to debug KDE/X, but I'd like to
> get rid of this really annoying problem.  How should I go about
> reporting it? I.e. what kind of diagnostics should I provide?

I think the place to check whether other people are seeing the problem
and to report it if not starts here:
<http://www.x.org/wiki/Home#head-c83e27a52008701dece8cc119828e9ccba921e7c>

In terms of what to report, an strace is quick and can be useful, as
well as details of the software build and configuration and your
hardware. I'd guess the folks on the xorg mail list or irc can tell you
more.