Carlos E. R. wrote:

> The Thursday 2007-07-05 at 14:16 -0700, joe wrote:
>
>>> now, why the heck does it want to use the NVIDIA kernel module,
>>> propietary, instead of the plain "nv" module, that DOES work?
>> Just an observation, it seems odd that you would buy the nvidia graphics
>> hardware and then cripple it with the "nv" driver - unless it's a headless
>> server or something...
>
> Because I do not need 3d or accel at the moment, and the nv driver is way
> more stable. For instance, with the proprietary driver my system crashed
> when hibernating, and i do that every day.

Ah -  I have seen problems with laptop suspend/resume on the nvidia equipped
machines with the 3D drivers. known bug I think... As far as stability in
normal scenarios the nvidia takes all the punishment I can give it and keeps
on trucking, hella stable. Lots of 3D FPS, OpenGL screensavers, movies etc.
but I don't suspend my workstation - different strokes for different folks I
guess...

Joe