Pavel Nemec wrote:
> Dne Wednesday 04 July 2007 23:07:34 James Tremblay napsal(a):
>
>> How does on build an image for and what tools does one need to clone a
>
>> master image to a lab?

<snip>

> I read this interesting thread and i want to give you my 2` cents.
>
> For purpose booting many computers with same (similar) image and for
> updating them we use special process in NLPOS9.
>
> We boot standard system (small kernel with small initrd) from PXE/DHCP
> and than download "working" image over ftp. Then we unpack this working
> image and chroot in it. All configurations are done off-line, when image
> is prepared.
>
> After every boot we can ensure updated and prepared environment. Images
> could be build with kiwi [1]
>
> For more information about NLPOS9 [2] - 1.1 Architecture overview
>
> [1] - http://en.opensuse.org/KIWI
>
> [2] -
> http://www.novell.com/documentation/nlpos9/pdfdoc/nlpos9_install/nlpos9_install.pdf
>
> --

Very interesting... I have worked with remote boot with Netware/DOS in
the past and it worked well until Windows 95 made life difficult.

I had a little trouble with getting the pdf for [2] (connection kept
locking), but the html based docs were informative.  I was unaware of
this (but thats Novells Marketting for you :-) ) but it is technology
one should be aware of for serious educational or corporate use.

> Pavel Nemec
>
> Software Engineer

> SuSE CR, s.r.o. e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Lihovarska 1060/12 tel:+420 284 028 981
>
> 190 00 Praha 9 fax:+420 296 542 374
>
> Ceska republika http://www.suse.cz

> HACK WEEK http://idea.opensuse.org/