On 7/11/07, koffiejunkie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Philipp Thomas wrote:
> It's Open GL to blame as it can't handle more then one display. If you use
> NVidia cards with their proprietary driver and thus have to use NVidia's
> twinview, you don't have that problem as twinview will present itself as
> one display with huge dimensions. But even my quadcore Intel box will kind
> of crawl when using an OpenGL app such as bzflag.

I'm not really concerned with games.  I have only one app that uses 3D -
Google Earth.  If that runs smoothly (on one screen) I'd be happy.  For
some reason (it might be shortage of video mem, I'm not sure), it
doesn't work if I maximise it on the second display.  If I widen the
window to extend accross both screens, it's fine until it reaches about
half of the second screen, than the "earth window" goes black.

What drives me more nuts are two applications that, when I maximise
them, don't stay on one screen: VMware and MPlayer.  Both enlarge to the
size of one screen, but sit in the middle of the two.  This is
completely useless.  I have fiddled endlessly with xorg settings and
KDE's window manager settings, but all to no avail.

AFAIK - you can not have 3d accell on more than one screen, I think I
read something like this on nvidia forums. Anyway, I could never make
it run on both screens.

VMWare is not yet xinerama-capable. According to posts on their
forums, this is planned for some future release. As a workaround, use
the QuickSwitch mode.

For Mplayer, use -xineramascreen option.

Cheers

--
Svetoslav Milenov (Sunny)

Even the most advanced equipment in the hands of the ignorant is just
a pile of scrap.