>>> released
>>> box
>>> hardware
>>> problem
>>> does

>> If this is a 64 bit system, replace /sbin/hwclock with the 32 bit
>> version
>> of hwclock.
>
> Yes, it is a 64 bit system. I have seen some reference to this in my
> searches prior to posting here. Strange that this should suddenly become
> a problem after all this time. Guess I have just been real lucky all
> these months.
>
> Next question: How do you boot a non-booting system to make this change?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave

There is a bug report in bugzilla.novell.com.
The 32 bit version of hwclock uses interupts while the 64 bit version does
polling.  This is where it hangs up.

If your system just started with this issue, did you update the kernel or
a driver?  I've seen where drivers may cause this to occur.  I have a
desktop dual core AMD that does not have this problem, but my dual core
laptop does.