Richard Creighton wrote:

> Wolfgang Rosenauer wrote:
> <snip>
>> Access to use your DNS server for recursive queries is controlled in
>> your named.conf in section options.
>>
>> Especially I have for example:
>> allow-query { ::1/128; 127.0.0.1; localnets; };
>> recursion yes;
>>
>> Which means that only localhost and "localnets" are allowed to use your
>> DNS server to resolve any fqdn.
>>
>> Access to your own local zones is granted in the respective zone section
>> where you may want to define:
>> allow-query { any; };
>> if your hosts should be reachable externally.
>>
>> Wolfgang
>
> Thank you Wolfgang....now another stupid question for you if you don't
> mind too much please.   I can't see where in the YAST program this can
> be done .... other perhaps in the sysconfig editor, but if in there,
> where?   If not, I'll head out into 'vi' land but I hate modifying the
> config files by hand because SUSE seems to come along later and change
> them again, occasionally overwriting changes I've made manually.   So, I
> tread in this area carefully when this possibility exists and I know
> YAST does diddle with the DNS configuration files...so....
>
> Richard

Well you are doing better than I am :-) YaST does not even report on my
configured zones but I suspect this is because I am using a view based
setup. But I do not use YaST for administering either my DNS (or samba)
configuration anyway so it is not a major issue for me. As far as I can
work out there is no setting for this in YaST.

If you are looking for a GUI webmin might be worth looking at, it does
include a DNS management module.

However, if you have a wireless network I would make certain that the
intrusion was external in origin and that your wireless security has not
been compromised in some way. Just because the query apparently comes
from an external address does not in itself mean that the connection  is
external.

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup