>Since I'll be upgrading a production server using the older
> version of Apache, will the upgrade 'break' anything, for example SSL,
PHP5,
> the Apache modules, and will it work the config files, especially the
> virtual host files?  With this big version difference, I'd hate to break
> something.
>
> Many thanks for your help,
>
> ~James

james:

In order to avoid breaking stuff you should do the following.

add this repositories:

http://software.opensuse.org/download/Apache/SUSE_Linux_10.0/

http://software.opensuse.org/download/server:/php/server_apache_SuSE_Linux_1
0.0/

the remove your old PHP installation **completely** ( in case you are
using the version included in 10.0 of course)

then reinstall apache2-mod_php5 apache2-prefork, the needed PHP
modules... ( you may need to upgrade more stuff depending what other
software in your system uses libapr* )

and no, you will not break virtual host configuration as it is backward
compatible.

Thank you for your instructions. This worked perfectly on our 32 bit server,
but somehow apache won't start on our 64 bit box. We get an error of;

# rcapache2 start
Starting httpd2 (prefork) httpd2-prefork: Syntax error on line 116 of
/etc/apache2/httpd.conf: Syntax error on line 24 of
/etc/apache2/sysconfig.d/loadmodule.conf: Cannot load
/usr/lib64/apache2/mod_jk.so into server: /usr/lib64/apache2/mod_jk.so:
undefined symbol: apr_sockaddr_port_get

The command line was:
/usr/sbin/httpd2-prefork -f /etc/apache2/httpd.conf -DSSL
                                                                      failed

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Many thanks,

~James