Tearing out my hair on this one...

A few months ago, a new kernel caused printing to freeze the system,
but I don't think that's related (have tried all BIOS settings;
one-way, ECP, EPP).

The first symptom was (your not going to believe it) Firefox tabs quit
responding to the mouse.  (That seemed to be fixed after replacing the
motherboard... but, I'm getting ahead of the story.)

System started hanging a few weeks ago.  No error messages... just
hangs tight.  I was playing w/ some new hardware and had to
power-cycle a lot, so I figured I killed some HW.

I removed a processor... didn't fix it; replaced the running
processor, with the one I took out... didn't fix it.

I tried running one stick of RAM at a time... didn't fix it.

Removed all peripherals, swapped video cards, disabled USB, printer,
and serial in the BIOS, replaced the SCSI card, replaced SCSI w/ IDE
(same image)... didn't fix it.

Replaced the motherboard, with new processors... didn't fix it.

Put all the PCI adapters/devices/video disks on a newer Intel
motherboard... it works... no hangs!

So, I'd figure it was the kernel... but I haven't changed kernels (as
I used a fixed-frequency monitor and need the Matrox driver built-in)
and hadn't allowed any of the Yast updates to update the kernel.

Any ideas?