pelibali wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to linux and this evening attempted to print some of my
> photos...
>
> First I tried the newest Picasa under my openSUSE 10.0, but it
> resulted _draft_ quality _B/W_ prints, even that 1200 DPI has been
> setup generally for our HP DeskJet 5940.
> Picasa's template is generally OK, because could place easily e.g.
> four of my photos on a single A4 page, but the draft quality I
> couldn't overcome. Of course I tried the options (theoretically)
> resulting better quality printouts and also checked the printer's
> default settings, which was normal quality/color.
> Therefore have no idea, how to work around this, because Picasa has
> quite limited print setup options under Linux and search at Google
> didn't help at all.
>
> At the end we managed to print the above four images via an
> OpenOffice.org template my boyfriend prepared few months ago and like
> that we succeeded. With Gimp I had bad experience in the past, so
> this way was not tried now.
>
> Would you give me please any hints/ideas on your preference when
> printing photos; I would be quite interested to hear some possibili-
> ties.
>
> Thank you,
> Agnes

I had trouble with my HP R800 also.  HP is not well supported under
Linux, or at least wasn't when I was setting up the printer.  I print
from gimp using TurboPrint software found at:

http://www.turboprint.de/english.html

The cost has gone up thanks to the dollar falling against the Euro (29
Euro, $39 USD) but it works really well.

I've heard good things about the gutenprint software too.

HTH,

Jim