Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> * Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [07-30-07 13:10]:
>
>> So, any host that has a lot of messages to send to users on your
>> system will be banned, correct?
>>
>> We frequently have occasion to send thousands of business-related
>> messages to a single domain, and if they use some simple-minded smtp
>> connection rate or traffic measurement, they would end up blocking us.
>>
>>  Heads would soon roll for that sort of nonsense.
>>

> and certainly should were that the case, but the idea is to ban those
> sites that have repeated rejections and/or refusals in a short period
> of time.
>
> The purpose is to ban rogue sites that continually pound your system
> attempting access, to relay mail/spam and/or to deliver spam to you,
> not to stop or deter valid ligitimate connection attempts.  Ligitimate
> sites will not spend this type of effort for access.

I'm curious about the mechanism by which fail2ban determines what is
legitimate high volume mail, and what is spam... Unfortunately messages
can bounce due to various causes on the receiving end, including users
who have moved on but haven't let all their contacts know their new
email address, or even hardware problems, network outages or
configuration blunders.

Joe