BandiPat wrote:

>> that has been working fine for many months.   I even downloaded the
>> Java 1.6 update rpm and installed it but they only tell how to
>> install it for mozilla, not firefox.   Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> Richard
>
> ===========
> Rich,
> Just do a search, whereis or locate, to find your Firefox directory in
> your system, then go to the plugins directory to see if the java plugin
> is pointing to the right place.  Many times these tend to get
> misdirected and are pointing to something non-existent or the old
> location of java.
>
> You can check the plugins in Firefox by typing "about:plugins" in the
> url area.
>
> regards,
> Lee

Lee,

That was one heck of a security upgrade!  I hope I don't need 1.4.2 anymore.

They moved it, I mean java...completely and utterly moved it from
/usr/lib/java.version to /usr/java/rel.version

No wonder the links were broken.   Not only that, the library name was
changed.   Oh, I hasten to point out that *something* erased the
contents of everything in the /usr/lib/java.version directories except
the folders themselves so I couldn't simply repoint the links.   Anyhow,
I did get it working.   I just wish "they" wouldn't diddle-fart with
stuff without warning us of possible side-effects, and I wish Firefox
would 'just work' like Konqueror does with the default locations of java
when it installs....but that would be too much to ask :)   At least this
isn't Windoze where I couldn't fix it without paying Redmond for an
upgrade and re-registering and entering a 1000 digit security code off
the DVD.

Richard