> Deliberate mixing of ad-hoc and infrastructure based networking on the
> same SSID is probably not good practice. People configuring machines as
> ad-hoc with the same SSID and passphrase is something the network
> managers can do little about, and I would regard this as a potential
> security weakness in some contexts (might also have a negative effect on
> overall network performance).

That's what I thought. It's a security issue as well.

> I think main problem is that joe/jill user just thinks that putting
> together a network or connecting to a network is like plugging in
> telephones to sockets in a walls. Unfortunately, however much you dress
> it up behind nice fancy GUIs it aint. Even more problematic are
> non-technical managers in organisations who think the same way.

Yes, well you are right but what to do if you need to use this
network? It's a library and they set it up with keys, I think, for
convenience of their users. If they wouldn't hide SSID the problem
wouldn't occur. They take it for an security advantage, I guess.