On Tue, 2007-07-31 at 11:45 +0200, Johannes Meixner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Jul 30 20:07 Art Fore wrote (shortened):
> > > A few months ago, I used my HP Scanjet 5300C on Suse 10.2 with no
> > > problems. Now, it is a hit or miss process, mostly miss.
>
> What did you do in between?

Ran Yast online update

> > > I go to Yast, Hardware, Scanner, the scanner was listed using the
> > > avision driver. I do a test, the test passes.
>
> Does it pass the test also several times?

Yes

> > > Go to OpenOffice Draw, Insert picture, from scanner,then select scanner.
> > > No scanner shows up.
> > >
> > > Go to Kooka, it also does not find the scanner. Try Xsane, takes about
> > > 10 minutes to get open, but also cannot find the scanner.
>
> Does it work as root but not as normal user?
> If yes, it is perhaps only a permission problem?

Seems to work at user with Kooka when it does work.

> > > Kooka did work one time after going to yast and running a test on the
> > > scanner, but then no more.
>
> This doesn't look like a permission problem.
>

> > > Nothing shows up in the system log other than where yast installed it
> > > when I edited the scanner setup with no changes.
>
> See "Trouble-Shooting (Debugging)" at
> http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Configuring_Scanners_from_SUSE_LINUX_9.2
>

> > > Apparently, one of the upgrades changed something the scanning system
> > > does not like.
>
> What exactly is "one of the upgrades"?

Yast Online Update

> > > System is 64-bit AMD athlon 3200+ with 2 gig of ram.
> > Tried this again tonight, did get something different. Kooka found
> > scanner, but prescan did not work. Xsane comes up with an error that
> > HewlettPackard:Scanjet5300.drc is not a device-rc-file!!!
>
> All the above looks strange.
>
> In particular when stuff sometimes works and sometimes fails
> it is likely a hardware-related problem. Not necessarily broken
> hardware but perhaps a low-level software problem e.g. kernel,
> USB system or SCSI system, whatever other low-level software
> which might be triggered by unstable working hardware.
> See for example "USB Cable Connection and Additional USB Hubs" at
> http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Configuring_Scanners_from_SUSE_LINUX_9.2
>

> Kind Regards
> Johannes Meixner
> --
> SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5, 90409 Nuernberg, Germany
> AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex

I did an uninstall and re-install with no improvement. Also tried the
udate from Smart repository, that was even worse. It removed sane and
had sane backend and sane front end and yast did not approve of that at
all. Will try tonight and upgrade again but also upgrade the
yast-scanner module and see what happens.