On Thu 2 August 2007 11:51:03 Joe Morris (NTM) wrote:
> Are you using hplip?  I had no problem doing both with my PSC 2175 with
> 10.1.  I assume you meant PSC 750, which according to
> http://hplip.sourceforge.net/supported_devices/combined.html is supported.

I can confirm this - I set a PSC 750 up in about 10 minutes the other day, and
it works perfectly.

- (su) rchplip start
- run HP Toolbox to set up the printer (K -> System -> Monitor ->
hp-toolbox) - I didn't bother using YaST for this, but could have
- run YaST -> Hardware -> Scanner to set up the scanner (it wasn't detected,
so it had to be added manually - just choose the model from the list)
- press Scan on the HP Toolbox
- in the new window, press Scan - select Color and 300dpi for best results
- the scan will be saved to out.pnm by default - choose an alternative if
necessary
- run "pnmtotiff out.pnm > out.tif" to convert to tiff format
- run "tesseract out.tif out.txt" to OCR the output into out.txt (i'm using
Tesseract for OCR, and the resulats are quite good)
- you can also run the threshold tool over the scan in GIMP to increase the
contrast, but this didn't seem to greatly increase the OCR accuracy

--
Pob hwyl / Best wishes

Kevin Donnelly

blog.thinkopen.co.uk - Me Myself Why?