On Monday 06 August 2007 09:15:29 pm John R. Sowden wrote:
> I wrote about this about 2 weeks ago with no response.  Noew I have more
> info. Suse 9.3.  When I boot up, I have to perform the following each time
> in order to be able to use the mose:
> Alt-F1 -> select System -> Select Terminal -> Select Konsole
> su -> (password)
> yast
> select hardware -> select mouse -> select ps2 mouse ->
> select test (mouse works) -> select accept -> select quit
>
> It sounds like the mouse config is no being written to disk.
> What is the file name.  Any ides to solve?

Hi John,

Look what is written in /etc/X11/xorg.conf in Section "InputDevice".
There are at least 2 of them, one for keyboard and one for mouse.
Here is an example from xorg.conf (openSUSE 10.3 Alpha 7):
 Section "InputDevice"
  Driver       "mouse"
  Identifier   "Mouse[1]"
  Option       "Buttons" "7"
  Option       "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
  Option       "Name" "USB Mouse"
  Option       "Protocol" "explorerps/2"
  Option       "Vendor" "Sysp"
  Option       "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Layout in 9.3 can be different, as Xorg server is developed in a meantime.

The other place to look would be
  /var/log/Xorg.0.log
to see is mouse recognized and loaded.
For instance:
  grep mouse /var/log/Xorg.0.log
gives
  (II) LoadModule: "mouse"
  (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules//input/mouse_drv.so
  (II) Module mouse: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
...etc.

Third is command
  dmesg
actually:
  dmesg | grep mouse
which should give:
  mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice

A question for you:
Why don't you upgrade to openSUSE 10.2?
If your computer runs 9.3 it will run even better 10.2.
That is my experience with an old box with 256 MB RAM and 500 MHz CPU.
Second benefit is that 10.2 will have security updates for more than a year,
while 9.3 is out of maintenace.

--
Regards,
Rajko.