koffiejunkie wrote:
> J Sloan wrote:
>> Clark Sann wrote:
>>>

>>>  Wifi still doesn't work as well as it should under Linux but it is
>>>  usable. (What it should do is let you be connected to a wired
>>>  connection at the same time you are connected via wifi, just like
>>>  windoze does.)
>>>
>>>  If you get one of these and need any help, let me know.
>>>
>>>  Clark
>>

>> LOL, "just like windoze"... sheesh. Well, it's good to hear that
>> windoze can finally handle that sort of thing too.
>
> Windows has been able to do this for years.  At least from 98, if not 95.

It rather depends what you are doing, routing, bridging, multiple
independent connections to same LAN, or multiple independent connections
to different LANs.

Windows can be a real pig to set up if you doing anything other than
simple networking, (and dont even think about it in Win9x). The
reliability of Windows WiFi networking in w2K and early XP in a multi-AP
or multi-network scenarios was notoriously bad. Linux is usually very
flexible in this regard and is usually only constrained by the technical
limitations of the hardware once you the drivers working. Provided you
use the CLI tools you usually get what you want, Network Manager and the
KDE tool are somewhat limited IMHO and personally I never use them.

- From experience I would say when one can have as many problems with
non-embedded WiFi configurations with Windows as one can have with Linux
configurations generally. The manufacturers usually ensure that the
drivers work with the embedded chip set for Windows 32 on laptops
(windows 64bit is still pretty poor), whereas the more generic WiFi
drivers can be troublesome in Windows not least some manufactures tend
to install their own management tools which in turn may conflict with
other windows tools (can get very messy).

OP does not indicate whether he has tried the Windows drivers for the
original machine with NDISWRAPPER (which would be my immediate fall back
position if SuSE cannot load the WiFi from installation). This can work
well with the 32 bit OS, (64 bit OS can get to be difficult). The main
problem I find with NDISWRAPPER is configuration is not for the
technically inexperienced.

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup