Listmates,

        I finally decided to take the plunge and eliminate the last bastion
of MS from my life -- that means the laptop. I installed a new hard-drive
loaded XP (well I still need QuickBooks) and then went to load 10.2 for my
regular OS on my laptop. The install was *hellish* and required rescue and
manual creation of swap, but that is another story. The system is now fully
installed with everything working, wireless, etc...

        During install and after I finally succeeded in getting everything
installed, my laptop overheats, freezes and dies. I have powersaved set on
"acoustic" with active cooling, but the system still overheats. This box
runs warm under windows, but never dies.  One confusing "clue" is that under
the suse install, the fans seem to run *more* than they do under windows,
but the system still overheats? When you look at kpowersave, it shows *two*
CPU's (there is only 1) and the first CPU is pegged at 3300 and the second
at 1200-1600.  I don't have a clue what this means other than it looks like
my CPU is working overly hard on something.

        I have googled and found information suggesting uninstalling
zend/zmd (which was nothing but trouble during install) and also setting
hard values for /proc/acpi/fan/FAN1, etc, but nothing seems like more than a
shot in the dark. Does anyone have any suggestions, links or advise for
addressing this issue. I would really like to make the jump to 10.2 for
primary use of my laptop, but with the heating/shutdown issue, that is
obviously impossible.

David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC
510 Ochiltree Street