I've been trying to use Skype on ICH5 AC'97 with normal speakers and boom
mike. The latest is a "SUSE 10.x" RPM a week old. Previously there was only
available a tar.gz for SUSE. The Skype RPM works, but only when my 10.2 sound
configuration is correct. Making it correct is vexing. Even more vexing is it
won't stay properly configured, as if some daemon at least once a day was
deleting or substituting its own idea of how sound should be configured. I
looked in /etc for something that represents sound configuration, but
/etc/sound does not exist, and /etc/alsa.d only contains *font files.

Anyone know why, when I open KMix and set various components according to
Skype instructions, that I can open KMix again 24 hours later and the
settings won't be the same as I left them?

Anyone know how to configure SUSE sound via config files, at least, where
they are, or some HOWTO for configuring sound without GUI tools, or with
something other than KMix?

TIA
--
"   It is impossible to rightly govern the world without
God and the Bible."                    George Washington

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409