[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Graham wrote:
>
>>> root:/mydata # growisofs -Z /dev/hdc -R -J /mydata/20070809/dvd1
>>> Executing 'mkisofs -R -J /mydata/20070809/dvd1 | builtin_dd of=/dev/hdc
>>> obs=32k seek=0'
>>> INFO: UTF-8 character encoding detected by locale settings.
>>> Assuming UTF-8 encoded filenames on source filesystem,
>>>   use -input-charset to override.
>>> Using 20070000.TAR;1 for  /20070809_mailarchive.tar (20070809_pictures.tar)
>>> /dev/hdc: FEATURE 21h is not on, engaging DAO...
>> An odd one.. 5:21h seems to be something to do with packet reading
>
> Hm... sorry, where do you read 5: in the message above?
> And why do you think it has to do with packet reading?

Switching to DAO mode is a part clue... 2lh only seems to be associated
with 5 ... suggests it tried a packet read function and switched to Disk
At Once... I dont think this is a problem .. just odd it is reported...

>>> /dev/hdc: reserving 2278432 blocks
>>> :-[ RESERVE TRACK failed with SK=5h/ASC=30h/ACQ=05h]: Wrong medium type
>> This means the drive does not support (or recognise) > the media.
>
> You mean the actual drive (meaning it's physically unable to burn DVD-R, but
> that's not the case from the reviews I've found) or its software driver /
> device file? May it be some configuration physical microswitch in the drive?
>
>>> /dev/hdc: "Current Write Speed" is 16.4x1385KBps.
>>> :-? resuming track#1 from LBA#0
>>> :-[ [EMAIL PROTECTED] failed with SK=5h/ASC=30h/ACQ=05h]: Wrong medium type
>>> :-( media is not formatted or unsupported.
>>> :-( write failed: Wrong medium type
>> See below for growisofs error codes...
>>
>> http://pcburn.com/article.php?sid=2127
>
> Maybe I'm dumb, but I don't find any "SK=5h/ASC=30h/ACQ=05h" combination in
> that page or the one it points to,
> http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/keys.txt

Unfortunately this list is pretty random...

5:30 errors seem to be mainly media related... 08..10 are all media
errors.. I do not think the list is comprehensive ... To get more you
need to look at source code...

This could be bad media .. (needs to be eliminated from equation).. if
you are trying with something that has already failed to be written to
you can get this response... If you have not already done this try again
with fresh media, BTW it is possible to recover the media with DVD+RW
media but R media it is one shot and thats it, in the original post you
did do a blanking operation (which should have failed) but if it
succeeded will have created a blank unwriteable disk. Do not attempt to
format a +R disk...

Otherwise, the last time I came across this kind of issue was with a
possibly flakey tape unit sharing the same cable as the the DVD unit. If
the device is sharing the cable with something else disconnect the
something else and try again.

Not clear what else is on machine but putting devices with different
data transfer rates on the same cable can cause some difficulty if one
is misbehaving.

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup