openSuse 10.2
2.6.18.8-0.5-default #1 SMP Fri Jun 22 12:17:53 UTC 2007 x86_64  GNU/Linux

Is compress/uncompress really not available in the distro?  I went to install
it and Yast Software Management won't show me any package that either
provides or is named "compress".  Oddly, the man pages are installed.

Yes, I know compress is a lame, old program. But, I'm working with some .Z
files from a customer  and the normally cooperative zcat objects to
decompressing and displaying them.  Can anyone tell me where to find  current
source for compress?  I found a web site with some source labelled 4.3d from
1990.    "$@(#) compress.c,v 4.3d 90/01/18 03:00:00"  Is this current?

Thanks,
Ken Jennings