I'm keen to try 10.3 beta 1, because I've heard that my sound card
driver will be built into the kernel, and I've had no luck getting sound
working no this machine by any other means.  I downloaded the ISO and
burned a DVD, and all seems well, but I'm puzzled about an installation
option.

I want to be sure that I'll be able to boot my current 10.2 kernel, in
case of problems with the beta, because disregarding the sound issue,
everything else seems to be pretty well sorted out.  I wouldn't want to
be unable to access my email store, for example.

When I selected the update option, after much checking and evaluating,
the installer presented an empty list of installations that could be
updated.  Checking the "show all partitions" checkbox revealed three.
However, I was reluctant to update something without knowing for sure
what would happen as a result.

If I tell it to do a new installation -- not an update -- will that
still leave the old versions available in GRUB?  Will I still be able to
choose to boot to 10.2.<whatever>, or will a new installation make
_everything_ new?

Thanks in advance,

    Jerry in Bothell, WA