Adam you do NOT have to run fresh clam every day. one
you have performed 1 freshclam close the term open
YAST>System>System Services

Change to expert mode at the top. In the list you will
find 'clamd' 'freshclam' and 'freshclam'

Start bother services if not running then finish.

This will auto update your daily clam database without
interference, however again I caution you this provided
NO protection.

One your question about being notified of any problem
just scan from the root directory as the user root and
include  the '-v' for be verbose option as well as the
option to scan all subdirectories.

If you are really worried create a subdirectory
directory off /home/ something like /home/quarantine

and include in you scan options --b and
--move=/home/quarantine
in this way you will get an audiable bell if anything
is found, the --v option will give you a complete
summary at the end and any infection will be moved to
the directory as above

Dont forget to scan from the root and scan all
subdirectories option shown in help

Scott