I have setup my OpenSuse 10.2 client to authenticate against an OpenLdap
server using the Yast configuration. All seems well and the users can
login to the terminal without an issue, however when logging into an X
session, they receive an Xsession error "Login for user XXX is
disabled". One of the  reasons for this error can be an incorrect shell
that has not been entered into /etc/shells. On investigation it turns
out that the users shell is not being selected from the LDAP database
and the field is left blank. getent passwd shows no shell for any LDAP
users.

I am familiar with LDAP and have manually checked the configuration
files but cannot find anything wrong. Can anyone shed any light on this
matter?

Many thanks,

Neil.