Hi,

I have not needed to use tex / latex for a little while
(during which assorted apt-get installs and updates have
taken place).  Now when I attempt to process a tex file I
get the following error message

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
kpathsea: Running mktexfmt latex.fmt
/usr/bin/mktexfmt: line 333: /texconfig/tcfmgr: No such file or directory
fmtutil: config file `fmtutil.cnf' not found.
I can't find the format file `latex.fmt'!

SuSEconfig reports

/sbin/conf.d/SuSEconfig.tetex: configuration of tetex
installation not found.

/sbin/conf.d/SuSEconfig.tetex does actually exist and is
executable.

Any suggestions most welcome

TIA