On Wed, August 15, 2007 11:39 pm, Verner Kjærsgaard wrote:
> Torsdag 16 august 2007 00:01 skrev Kai Ponte:
>> On Wed, August 15, 2007 12:37 pm, Verner Kjærsgaard wrote:
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > - I did a setup like what you describe for +15000 users. No,
>> that's
>> > not a
>> > typo.
>> >
>> > - should I do that again, I'd go with...::
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> I saw that page in my searches. Wasn't sure how reliable they were.
>> guess I need not worry?
>
> I don't know. I did it with SAMBA, Kerberos and all. Later on the
> university
> (my customer) contemplated Centeris. To the best of my knowledge, it's
> been
> tested but not implemented. So for now, they're on the YaST way of
> doing
> things.
>
> Mind you, I don't think it's all that hard...I used YaST on SLED10. I
> do
> recall reading a lot, but not really doing a lot...
> It just works.

Okay, our MS weenie will be back next week. I'll bug him then.  I'll
put the lappie on the test network and see how it goes.

> MS-AD is another matter, it's a real pain when you reach users of this
> quantity. As I understand it, they hate it. It's cumbersome, slow and
> expensive. But in true MS fashion, they are now completely locked in.
> It'l
> take too much effort to switch to other non-MS products giving the
> same
> functionality. Novell's got a few offers as have others (IBM?)

Well, unfortunately, I have no choice. It is weird, but I'm only the
manager over the network hardware and not the NOS. (We will eventually
reorganize but that's a ways off.)  I also manage most of our 70+
in-house and vendor applications but not Exchange.

Our retirement system does use SLED and SLES machines as well as
successfully running on Groupwise.

Hopefully soon...